Sunday, February 27, 2011

Memory for Today - Out of my sight

We attended a family bible study on Friday night. It was like nothing I had ever experienced before. They started with a sword drill for the kids. Then they went into an hour and half long discussion on 2 Timothy. I think we got through 3 verses. The kids were all present and they outnumbered the adults. It was incredible. After the bible study the kids all gathered in the kitchen for Bible charades while the parents had a time of prayer. Then the kids came back in and performed their charade for us. We had to figure out what they were acting out. It was a blast. Then we had a great time of fellowship with the kids playing together and the parents just talking. It was great to talk to a bunch of other homeschool moms who experience the same thing I do every day in raising a large family. The one lady I spent most of the evening speaking to has 11 kids, the youngest having down syndrome. The other woman, whose home we were meeting in, has 8.
My memory for today actually came from Caleb. Making the transition to a family integrated church has been a challenge with Sam and Caleb. They have spent their entire lives going into the nursery and this church has none. Caleb was very sleepy and was just not being quiet. I was almost in tears when our gracious host came out to me and offered to set up a playpen for him in one of the bedrooms. I did not know how that was going to work because we forgot his pacifier at home. He did not settle down at first so I went to the room and just stood by the playpen rubbing his back. I then moved to the middle of the floor. Then I moved to the doorway. He was awake the entire time just watching me. I then went around the corner. The first time he could not see me he started crying. I just moved where he could see me and he settled down. I guess as long as he knew I was there he was content. As I am in this dark room a thought occurred to me. This is like our relationship with Christ. I need to get to the point that when I find myself walking away from the Lord I need to cry out. When I can't see God I need to cry out. I need to have him within my sights at all times. There have been times in my life when I have walked away not because of rebellion but because of laziness, apathy, or just busyness. In those times I need to cry out to God and look for him and seek him until I can see him again. It took that moment in that dark room with Caleb to remember that I need to work at walking close to God. It just doesn't happen. It takes effort and a lot of prayer.

No comments: