Sunday, February 6, 2011

Memory for Today - The Tissue

Today was not a good day at church. Carl had drill this weekend. He comes home at night but he is gone during the day. Carl requested that I go to the family integrated church we have been visiting the past two weeks. I was a little stressed going by myself. The little ones are not used to staying out during the service. They have done okay the past two weeks because Carl and I would tag team them. This week though they were horrible. The service preaching last a full hour with singing after that and then a sharing time that sometimes takes an hour. Then we have communion time and prayer. It is a long service and Sam, Caleb, and Daniel had had it about half way through. The other ladies in the church were helpful as much as they could but I decided to leave right during the sharing time. Caleb was screaming and Daniel and Sam were yelling at each other. We normally have a potluck lunch afterwards. The older ones, who had been so well behaved the entire time, were very good about leaving early once I promised them lunch out. Once I got all the kids buckled in the car and was on the road I completely broke down in tears. I was stressed from being in a new situation with people I did not know very well and from trying to keep three little ones quiet for two hours. I was on the phone with Carl crying and telling him that the plan did not go so well. I was sobbing when Alex, who is sitting up front now that he is twelve, quietly called my name. I glanced over he was holding out a tissue to me with a smile on his face. It was so sweet and made me cry harder. Now, the kids are fed, little ones are down for a nap, and the older ones are watching a movie. I think I will lie on the sofa and take a much needed nap. I was amazed though that I had so many women in the church come up and offer me help. As I was leaving I had two women run after me telling me to please come back and not be discouraged. Each one of them had been where I am with little ones. They were so encouraging and it felt good to be around women like that. I guess it did not hurt that the message this morning was all about Jesus comforting us in our lives and then comforting those around us as well that we see struggling. This is the was church should be. Fellow believers encouraging one another and mutually growing together.

No comments: