Sunday, April 24, 2011

An Easter Grocery Store Visit

Yes, I did go to the grocery store today. We are going to cook out on the grill tonight and I needed some rolls. First, let me say that it is so weird having so much open on Easter Sunday. The roads were packed and not with people going to church. Every store was packed, even the car wash had a line of cars waiting. So not used to that. We enjoyed a wonderful time of fellowship at our new church. It was a completely different Easter service but it was wonderful having all the focus being on Christ. The kids were good but definitely ready for the almost 3 hour service to over. After our fellowship lunch we stopped by Harris Teeter on the way home. Alex was elected to be my protector in the store. Carl always wonders why the kids are so eager to go to Harris Teeter. I told him that always have free samples of cheese and produce and free cookies for the kids. I bought what I needed and stopped by the Starbucks to pick up a cool drink for Carl and I (not used to 90 degree weather on Easter). I ordered and then turned to look for Alex. I almost started to panic when I could not find him. I was relieved when I saw him at the other end of the produce section just politely taking a samples they had available. I almost told him to come by me but then I realized that he is 12 years old. I need to trust him a little more. So instead I sat down and waited for my drinks to be made. Alex came over and we had a good discussion about which samples he liked best and even offered to run and get me some. We decided that the fresh pineapple was best. It was fun just having a grown up discussion about food and talking about what recipes we wanted to try out some time at home. It just hit me that he is not a little kids any more. He is growing up a little more each day. I need to let him be on his own more as that is training him to be a man. As a boy he so wants to be a leader like his Daddy. It has been great for Alex to see Carl stepping up and taking more of a leadership role in our family. This church has really challenged our whole family in the true roles a husband, wife, and children are to have in a godly home. The kids have benefited so much from some of the changes we have implemented as a result of this church. Carl is more of a leader of our home, I am learning what a true submissive wife is and our home is no longer child led but parent led. I know I have gone off topic but the growth I see in Alex and all our children is a direct result of changes Carl and I are endeavoring to make in our family. Alex is such a sweet boy and he has improved so much lately. I just need to be sure to tell him that everyday and encourage him in the good changes I see in his life. All that from an Easter grocery store visit.

No comments: