Monday, April 18, 2011

Flying By

As many of you know North Carolina was hit with some very bad weather this weekend. We are praising God for His protection in that we were spared. We are also praying for those who lost loved ones and those whose homes or property have been destroyed. One family in our church had a tornado come right through their farm. Luckily no one was injured. It was a crazy day where everyone was on edge waiting to find out where the storms were going to strike. Carl, the kids, and I spent the morning outside trying to fit some yard work in before the storms hit. Carl is in the process of building a lean to for his lawn things. It was an extremely windy day and I am talking the kind of wind that knocks your balance off. The kids spent the morning chasing toys that they had left in the yard. I sat down in a chair outside and rested for a moment. I laid my head back and just watched the sky. I can honestly say that I have never seen clouds move that fast. THese storms were moving around 50-60 miles per hour so it was incredible just to watch the clouds literally fly by. As I was watching the clouds the kids came running from the back yard to the front. It just struck me that my time with them is moving even faster that those clouds were. In the blink of an eye Alex will be on his own. It just made me realize that the time that I have with them needs to be spent well. I need to instill in them the godly character qualities that they will need to become godly young men and women who desire to serve the Lord. My time is so short and Alex turns 13 next year. Just that thought is enough to make me want to work even harder to make sure he is prepared for all the temptations and trials that will come his way. I know that my children need to make their own choices in life but I need to do everything in my power to instill in them the desire to make those choices God honoring ones.

1 comment:

Davesgirl said...

I know!! Time is going by so fast- let's get busy teaching them all we want them to learn.