Saturday, February 9, 2008

Samuel's Well Check

Sam had his well check yesterday. I fully expected it to be like any other well check that any of the kids had. I was a little concerned about Sam not moving around as much as I thought he should but I thought nothing of it. When I watched Saige reaching for her toy in the video my heart skipped a beat. I sat down and thought about it. Same has never really reaches for anything, ever. His hands are always clenched in a fist at his sides. If you do dangle something in front of him all he does is flail his arms. He never reaches for the item. He also really is not rolling over yet. His legs and arms are always so stiff. I mentionesd this to the doctor after she examined Sam. She put him on his belly and we discovered that his left arm is much weaker than the right. It just is limp like. She saw his fists clenched and she got real concerned. She tried to get him to reach for a toy and could not. I tried, the murse tried, the attending doctor tried. All to no avail. By this time I am getting concerned. I guess having him be number six I just thought he was developing fine. I never really paid much attention. Now I feel like such a bad mom. They brought an occupational/physical therapist down to examine him. She specializes in infants. She that his mobility is on the low end of low. She also said that the way his chest is it is causing him to slump over and we need to get it fixed. She said he has an indented chest that makes the rib cages flare out and it makes him slump over. Again I noticed but never thought it was abmormal. As I am writing this Sam is in my lap slumped over and his left arm is limp on mine. He also has a mild case of torticollus which is when the head leans to one side and the muscles in the neck are tight. So much for a mormal well check. We were there three hours being seen by three doctors and the therapist. Bottom line is he needs immediate physical therapy and maybe some neurologial testing and my solution of lots of prayer. I have been so stressed since yesterday kicking myself for not noticing this before, but thankful that I mentioned something to the docotr. Carl and my mom both said they noticed something but thought nothing of it like I did. I am putting Sam in the Lord's hands realizing that he is just on loan anyway. He is really God's and He knows exactly what he is doing. I am just reading my Bible and praying through this whole ordeal. In the next couple days I need to find out where we can get him seen and evaluated. He is such a happy baby and he laughs all the time. Socially he is above where he should be. The doctors and therapist just fell in love with him. I am glad there are people who can help Sam.

3 comments:

Tara-- said...

Oh Kimberly! (((HUGS))) How worrisome. I will be praying that the Lord will bring the right doctors and therapists to you so that you can get some answers and the best care for little Sam. Keep us updated. We'll be praying.

Davesgirl said...

I am so sorry! There are times where all of us have felt like kicking ourselves for not noticing one thing or another, so don't even think about that. I really so respect and appreciate your outlook on this whole thing, and think it is wonderful that you are finding peace in God's control. We will surely pray for Sam...

nini14 said...

Just thought I would add a comment from Marion DeVos. I was talking to her this morning and telling her about little Samuel and how cute he is and happy--I have never seen a happier baby. I told her about his well baby check up and she said that it is amazing how many babies she has seen that were said to be on the low scale of development that you would never know it when they got older--went on to do great things. She said she would be lifting little Samuel to the Lord with us.