Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

I know that some of you are going to be so jealous when you read this post. I found out about a picnic about 45 minutes from out house that I know all of you would love to attend. It is hosted by Scott Brown of the National Center for Family Integrated Churches (ministry of Vision Forum). In fact it is on his farm. Carl and I decided that if he was feeling better today that we would try to go. He woke up feeling good so we all piled in the van and headed to their farm. It was am amazing day. When we first arrived they had a dad and his daughter greet us before we even drove all the way on the property. They were handing out free Cd's to every car. They were from Doug Phillips, Scott Brown, and two other men. Carl was quite impressed. We got to sit under the teachings of Doug Phillips himself who attended with his whole family. Talk about encouraging. The whole day was dedicated to raising real men and honoring those men who had served in our military. We got to hear from Ezra Hill who was a Tuskegee Airmen who fought in WW2. He has an amazing singing voice. We also got to hear Bill Brown and Bill Henderson be interviewed right before our eyes. If you don't know who they are you need to listen to Jonathan Park's episode entitled Return to Iwo Jima (Volume 4). Both men fought on Iwo Jima and Bill Brown was even shot down and had to be rescued by a submarine. It was amazing to hear these men speak about real manhood and how important it is to raise godly young men like those who fought during WW2. Lunch was provided (in the pouring rain) and after the rain stopped they had snow cones, balls, Frisbees, a pond to catch fish in, and hayrides and jeep rides (driven by Doug Phillips himself.) It was awesome to be around families of like mind. Everyone was so polite and friendly and we felt like we truly were a part of their family. It was incredible to walk and meet men who we have heard speak on CD from vision forum. I have also never seen that many large families in my life. For once I did not feel weird about being very pregnant with number 7. There were more 15 passenger vans than mini vans and it was awesome. Pregnant women and babies were everywhere. The kids had a great time and did not want to leave. William's favorite part of the day was actually meeting Bill Brown in person and shaking his hand. Alex loved fishing in one of the many ponds on the property. Nathan, Esther, and Daniel liked the hayride and jeep ride. Sam just liked running around. All in all it was a wonderful day, one I will cherish for a long time. I can't wait till next year. Next year will be their 10Th time having it and you can guarantee that Carl and I will be there again. Some of you guys should plan on coming down to visit our home school convention and then the picnic. They are always held the same weekend. I will post some of the awesome pictures and videos I took today on a later post. I am too tired right now to go get my camera.

2 comments:

Tara-- said...

How exciting!!!! I'm jealous :) I'd love to hear more about it. Praying for you still as you wait for baby Caleb's arrival.

Davesgirl said...

Wow, sounds great :) I am praying that everything runs smoothly and you can stay distracted until the baby decides to come! :)