Saturday, January 12, 2013

10 years from now

What single thing that I plan to do this year will matter most in ten years? In eternity?
This question has kind of hit me hard today. Carl had drill this weekend so I went to stay at my mom's. I spent the entire day doing what I normally do at her house, watching television. Today we spent most of the time watching the Ravens play the Broncos. Awesome game. I mean it was two well matched teams playing with the score going back and forth. It came down to the last 30 seconds of the game when Joe Flaco threw a Hail Mary pass for a touchdown. In double overtime the Ravens ended up winning. It was an adrenaline rush. I have not screamed so much during a football game in a long time. My point in saying this is while getting ready for bed i realized that the game and what I did all day today will not matter in ten years. People get so upset when their team loses but can you name the winner of the very first Super Bowl? I can now that I looked it up. What about who won ten years ago? I can't even tell you who won last year. My point is that the game today will not matter in ten years and especially not for eternity.
What does matter is the time I took today to spend with my 11 year old son. I sat and watched with him, cheered with him, and comforted him when a bad play was made. He is very sensitive about his team and how they do. That is what he will remember. The time I spent with him. He will remember that because I remember doing the same thing with my dad. He is big Redskins fan and we watched every game growing up. I can't tell you the scores or who they played but I do remember spending time with him. I cherished those times.
All of that to say this. The time I spend with The Lord is only thing that matters for eternity. That time I spend with The Lord allows me to be the kind of wife and mother that will do the things that are going to matter in 10 years and for eternity. If I do good things my whole life but do not show my children how to have a relationship with Christ then I have nothing that really matters. My grandchildren are the ones that I am thinking of when I am parenting my children. What I do today will affect them. I need to picture in my head how I want my children to be when they are gray haired. What kind of children do I want my children to raise? That is what matters. I need to have a vision that goes on after I am gone on to heaven.
I always remember an illustration by Francis Chan. He is holding a rope that goes across the whole front of the sanctuary. On the end of the rope is about 6 inches of red tape. He says that the red represents our life here on earth. The other looooooong part of the rope represents our life in eternity after we die. What we do in those 6 inches determines how we will spend the rest of the rope. We spend a lot of time on earth wasting time on things that do not really matter. Telling my children about Christ and others around me needs to be my main focus in life because that is the only thing that matters. The only thing I can take to heaven with me is other people. You better believe I am going to live my life in such a way that I show as many people as I can who Jesus is and what he can do for them.

Three things I am thankful for today.
34. Something above - the ceiling fan that is on above me. It got up to 70 degrees today. After the cheering from the football game I am still sweating.

35. Something below - my husband designs water and waste water treatment plants and I am so thankful for him. I don't put any thought into where the water goes when it leaves my house. I am glad I don't have to.

36. Something beside - watching the Ravens win an awesome football game with my boys beside me. It was a great time cheering together.

I love Carl because of the fact that he serves in the Army Reserves. I am so proud of him.




No comments: