Saturday, January 19, 2013

A financially worry free holiday

What is my most important financial goal this year and what is the most important step I can take toward achieving it?
Carl has always done the finances in our house. I know for him this question would be answered differently. I have a set budget every two weeks. I really want to work toward setting money aside for Christmas next year. Every year but this one I have been running around the month of December and completely miss out on the true meaning of Christmas. This year I purposed in my heart to be done by the end of November. I accomplished that goal. I planned crafts and food and activities that made the season more special. My favorite thing was the Random Acts of Christmas Kindness that we did. It was awesome going around and paying for people's food at a drive-thru, leaving 60% tips for waiters, and leaving blankets at a bus stop on a cold day. The kids loved it. I want to be able to afford to do more next year and bigger things. So, I want to save all year long so at Christmas I can buy what my kids require and have money left over to do 25 days of RACK's.
One way I heard of doing this is to do a 52 weeks of savings plan. The first week you put in $1. The second week, $2. The third week. $3. It goes on up with you adding the amount of the week that you are on. So for week 31, you would $31 and so on. By the end of the year you save over $1300. I could do a lot of RACK's with that. Imagine the lives our family could touch.
So, that is my goal for year. I want to save as much money as I can in order to touch more lives next holiday season.

Three things I am thankful for:
3 gifts that might never have been

55. On July 4, 1997, I was going to a party to meet a boy I was dating. He never showed up. My husband attended the same party to meet up with another girl. She never showed up. I pouted and this man I had never met cheered me up and sang me a song. Two months later we got engaged and that same December we got married . 15 years and 8 kids later we are still going strong.

56. I took birth control as soon as we got married. I got pregnant anyway, twice. After that I felt The Lord leading me to trust him with our family. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I would be the mother of 6 boys and 2 girls and my heart still having room for more. I am glad I trusted The Lord. He has blessed me so much. With our last one they found a kidney problem on the ultrasound. They told us it was a marker for Down syndrome. They brought up the topic of terminating the pregnancy. Our beautiful, Tirzah Grace is now a year and half old and very healthy. How blessed we are.

57. Standing on the side of the road after just hitting a deer. Car, totaled. Eight kids, hot and tired. In Indiana on our way to Colorado to visit my sister. One e-mail sent to our church loop. We had people all over the world praying for us. A friend of a fellow church goer gave us the number of a friend of theirs who lived nearby. They let us stay with them and their 7 kids. They fed us, did our laundry, and even let us keep our trailer on their property while we continued our journey. We now have friends for life and all from a deer that hit our van.

I love Carl because he gets so excited to try new things, even if I think going over someone's house to slaughter ducks is a weird thing.

No comments: