Thursday, January 3, 2013

Impossible things

My question for today is "what is the most humanly impossible thing that I will ask God to do this year?"
Really, this one is not hard. I have been thinking about this question for a while. My mom answered this question last year and she saw God do amazing things in the life of her and my father. She asked God to work in the area of my father's VA issues. He was at 60% disabled at the beginning of last year. My mom prayed for them to consider upping his disability to 100%. It was a legitimate claim that had been considered at VA and denied before. My mom prayed all year for them to reconsider. The found out in the summer that my dad's claim was accepted and he would be at 100%. For anyone who has ever dealt with VA this is virtually an impossibility. They sometimes take years to do this. Most of the time a person is dead before they get 100% disability. For my parents this was such an answer to prayer as now my mom and dad both have the security they need for the rest of their lives. My dad is physically incapable of working anymore. As I saw God work in an impossible way in my parents life I began to ask this question myself. What do I see as an impossibility right now in my life? I did not have to think long.

For me, it is all about my children. I want to see God work in the hearts of children like never before. I want him to especially work in the lives of Alex and William. I want God to move in their hearts so much that people cannot help but see the change in their lives. I want God to become such a part of who they are that there is no doubt in anyone's mind that they will do an amazing work for The Lord. I want to see God break down the bitterness and the walls that have been built up their hearts. For me this is my impossible thing. We have been dealing with issues with Alex for a few years now and I am discouraged about where he is right now. Wiliam has of late been having such a rotten attitude that it makes me sad. For those who say that it is just boys being boys I say you are wrong. I have met young men who are the same age as my boys who are on fire for The Lord. It is not a stage. It is a reflection of their spiritual walk with The Lord or the lack thereof. I know that my children are responsible for their own walk with The Lord. My happiness is not tied to that. I can pray and hope and believe that God will work in their lives. If they choose to take a different path than the one I want for them I know that it is their own choice, my job is to keep praying and hoping and believing. My job is guide them to make the right decision. It is my job to lead them to a better place. My joy is not conditional upon them changing. My joy is conditional upon the choice I make to pray for them and know that I have a Heavenly Father who loves them more than I ever could and wants them to live for Him even more than I desire that.
Mixed in with the impossible thing I pray for my children is the desire to see those very changes happen in my own life. I want God to move in such a way that I exude His name with every ounce of my being. I desire every word, thought, and action to honor his name. I desire for him to remove all the anger from who I am. I pray that I will become a woman of peace, prayer, grace, and mercy. This is my desire for the new year, my impossible things for the year.
With this comes my verse of the year. I am claiming this verse for the year and for many years to come.
3 John 1:4
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.

Three things I am thankful for today:
4. The creek outside in our backyard. Sometimes I can hear it trickling and it is peaceful
5. The warmth of our house on a chilly morning
6. NiNi's popcorn.

I love Carl because he took the time to snuggle with Sam this morning and kiss Tirzah while she was asleep. How precious.


No comments: