Friday, January 14, 2011

Memory For Today - Sometimes You Just Need to Color and Pizza Hut

Today the window replacement people were scheduled to come out and replace the van window. It has had a crack in it for months. Carl told them anytime after 10 a.m. I had some errands to run today so I was waiting for them to come so I could go. I was planning on stopping b the bank, take the kids out to lunch, and then stop by Target for something William wanted to buy (they had some Lego's on sale and he had his own money.) By 1:00 they were not here so I fixed lunch for the kids and put the little to bed after that. Carl called the house to see if they had come and I told him no. I did not do school today because the kids wanted to watch them put the windshield in and I did not want them stopping in the middle of a lesson. I finally got a call from them to say that they would come around 3:30. By that time the kids were tired and cranky and generally misbehaving. I got a few minutes of peace while they watched the windshield being put in. They thought it was so cool. Carl called right about the time they were done to tell me that he was trying to get off work but that he might have to work late. That stinks because tonight is my grocery shopping night. He called around 5:30 to say that he was going to have to work late. Now Carl takes care of dinner for the kids while I go grocery shopping. They enjoy their time with daddy and he fixes cool meals for them. I had planned on that all day so I was not prepared for dinner. The prospect of dragging seven kids, one of which is having an asthma attack today, was not something I was looking forward to. Carl told me to order Pizza Hut. You can order online and get it delivered. The kids loved it because they loved stuffed crust pizza (anyone seen Despicable Me). It was a special treat and it allowed me a little while of peace because I told them if they misbehaved they could not eat the chocolate dunkers.
Oh the coloring. Earlier today the kids were watching a movie. I went upstairs to get something and when I came downstairs all the kids were at the kitchen table coloring. The family room where the movie was still playing was empty. I grabbed a coloring sheet too and we spent the next hour coloring and talking. It was great. Sometimes as adults, we just need to take some time and color.

1 comment:

Davesgirl said...

I agree- coloring is really therapeutic! I think the memory blogging is good- it will help us also be more proactive in pursuing relationship with the kids. Thanks for the encouragement :)