Monday, January 10, 2011

Memory For Today - A Threat of Snow and Frustration

In North Carolina if there is a remote threat of snow then everything shuts down and I mean everything. People panic like nothing you have ever seen. Grocery store shelves are left empty and everything gets cancelled. We are supposed to get snow this evening and then later it is supposed to switch to freezing rain. It was forecast to start in our area late in the afternoon (around 5-7). Schools closed by noon and everything is shut down. That is fine as I am one who does not like to drive in bad weather. The only problem is that today the Sam, Caleb, and Nathan had a very important doctor's appointment. It was a meeting with the behavioral and developmental ped's doctor from UNC. She is very well regarded and it is extremely hard to get an appointment with her. The referral for this appointment was sent through in August and our appointment was made for January 10. That is how in demand this woman is. I was so afraid that the kids would get sick for the appointment that we have not gone anywhere for a week. I have spent days gathering paperwork and medical files. We spent the weekend at my mom's so she could watch the kids. Carl even took the day off so he could help me out at the appointment. I got a phone call last night from the doctor to make sure we were coming. I told her that there was no way I was missing this appointment. I've waited four months. I thought everything was okay. This morning at 8:30 I got a phone call asking us to reschedule. I lost it. I cried to the lady on the phone. I begged her not to make me wait another couple of months. It is so hard to schedule 3 kids together. I was extremely upset. She was able to schedule me for next week but I am still upset. As the day goes on and the snow has just started at 3:00 I get more frustrated. I can understand where they are coming from but when they make appointments four and five months in advance it is just frustrating that when it is time for my appointment it decides to be bad weather. I am just very disappointed today and feeling stressed out.

No comments: