Monday, January 31, 2011

Memory For Today - What is in a name?

Carl and I listened to a sermon this weekend by Dr. S.M. Davis. It was entitled "How to name your baby?" It was very good. His main premiss was that the meaning of a childs name is so important. He urges parents to really have a meaning in mind and come up with a name that means that. Carl and I got to looking up the names of our children and we did okay. Esther's name means star and so does her middle name (Mary). William means protector and his middle name, Parker, literally means protector of a park. I think it was funny that those two have both their names mean the same thing. I have always loved the name Josiah for a boy and Carl has always shot me down. The opening of Dr. Daivs' message was all about the name Josiah. Carl and I just looked at each other and laughed. After we listened to the sermon Carl and I were discussing the name of this new little one. We both suggested that we find a name that means done or complete. What do you guys think?

2 comments:

Tara-- said...

Josiah is one of my favorite names too. Clark was to be Clark Josiah up until a few days before he was born when Eris said he liked Clark Joshua better. Oh well-- maybe one day. I think it is neat to pick a name based on meaning. are you going to find out the gender this time?

Davesgirl said...

I don't think you'll go with that meaning !!!