Saturday, January 8, 2011

Memory For Yesterday - My Little or Should I Say Big Helpers

I only get migraines when I am pregnant and yesterday it was an all day event. I had grand plans to get school done in the morning and clean the house, which included about folding up 20 loads of laundry. (Yes sometimes I do let the CLEAN laundry sit in the laundry room until I can get to it) Around 10:30 I knew I was in for a bad day. The lights started getting brighter and brighter and the kids voices started sounding louder and louder. By lunchtime I was on the sofa. The kids said they wanted mac-n-cheese for lunch. Now we don't do fake mac-n-cheese. It is the homemade kind with a cheese sauce and everything. I told the kids I just could not do it. William and Alex told me not to worry. They would fix it. And they did. They handled everything from making it to serving it to cleaning up the kitchen. When I came downstairs from putting Sam and Caleb down for a nap the kitchen was almost clean and Esther and Nathan were actually helping each other put the dished away. Wonders never cease. I felt worse and worse and just told the kids to watch movies or draw or do a puzzle or anything quiet. They kept the lights off for me and the curtains closed. My sweet Daniel even got my special sofa blanket and he and Esther spent the day making sure I was covered up and warm. They actually stayed out of trouble and were good all afternoon. When it was time for the little ones to get up the older ones changed their diapers and made sure they were occupied. Luckily I had put Italian chicken in the crock pot before I started feeling bad. All I had to do was throw some green beans in the skillet and whip up some biscuits. That I was able to do after I finally found the Tylenol and it kicked it. (How come when I am looking for Tylenol all I find is children's allergy medicine and sun tan lotion and when I am looking for children's allergy medicine all I can find is Tylenol. Not fair.) Carl came home from work to a clean house and dinner ready. I told him I was going upstairs to rest and he handled dinner. I was served dinner in bed by my wonderful children and they were quiet. Sam even went to bed relatively easily. He only screamed for 20 minutes. I was very impressed by my children who went out of their way to be quiet and work in the dark and just generally make my day go so much easier. I can see the maturity in all of them and I am so proud. It is a lot of hard work training children to be godly young men and women and there are days when I spend a lot of time crying on my knees. There are a lot of times I just want to give up. It is days like yesterday that give me hope and reason to keep pressing on. I guess the Lord wanted me to see that despite all the times I have failed as a parent that through him and his strength I am doing the right thing. I don't have migraines a lot but when I do I am thankful for children who are a blessing to me. Oh yeah, and crock pots.

2 comments:

Tara-- said...

What a blessing!

Davesgirl said...

I agree, days like those, where you see your children making progress make it all worthwhile. Thank the Lord He gives us glimpses of the results of our work!